Balancing the Root Chakra is essential when we begin energy work because it allows us to feel comfortable enough to eventually work up towards the higher chakras. In other words, if you're not feeling safe and grounded on your root chakras- you're likely to become too overwhelmed to work with your other chakras.
There are many reasons as to why our root chakras might feel blocked including but not limited to:
- Traumatic Events
- Mental Disorders, energy work is not a cure for mental disorders. However, incorporating energy healing and root chakra work into your mental health care may help ease symptoms of certain mental disorders.
- Feelings of being an outcast, the "black sheep", alienation, isolation
- General anxiety, fears, being pushed outside of comfort zone
- Sudden loss (life, wealth, home, career, essential needs or well being not being met)
- Feelings of not being grounded- dissociated from ourselves and the earth
So if we're feeling this way, what are some ways to help heal and balance the Root Chakra?
(I would say this before any chakra work but especially since the Root Chakra is connected to our deepest fears and sometimes pains, that you're somewhere you feel safe and like you have plenty of time to do this work without judgment. )
Go outside! This can be one of the quickest ways to ground ourselves and balance the Root Chakra because we have the opportunity to connect directly with the Earth outside.
- I would highly recommend letting your bare feet touch the Earth if possible, sitting on the ground, hugging trees, walking meditations, outdoor yoga, etc.
Listen to Solfeggio healing frequencies or music that makes you feel calm and connected to the earth!
- I would highly recommend 396HZ and 174HZ frequencies because they assist with reducing anxiety, fear, feelings of guilt, feelings/sensations related to trauma and allow us to feel safer and more grounded in the current environment.
- Music is a great way to self-heal, playing instruments can often help us feel grounded and allow us to be vulnerable. Himalayan singing bowls are another beautiful instrument often used in healing and I also highly recommend these for those interested in sound therapy.
Stones and Crystals! Stones and crystals have been used in holistic healing for thousands of years. Similar to sound therapy, crystals and stones give off certain vibrations that encourage the body and mind to self-heal.
- I recommend looking into purchasing one or multiple of these stones and/or crystals to assist in Root Chakra healing: Black Tourmaline (a personal favorite), Onyx, Jet, Bloodstone, Garnet, Jasper (all work but Red Jasper can be especially powerful), and Obsidian. There are so many types of stones and crystals so try using your intuition to see what makes you "feel" like you're connected to the Earth.
Movement and Yoga! Healing through movement and physical activity is one of my favorite ways to self-heal. This is because we hold trauma and stress within the body, and sometimes we are able to "loosen" or "untie" ourselves and blockages through certain motions.
- Dancing is an ancient way to heal the Root Chakra as it requires us to connect to the earth through our feet and motions. So dance like no one is watching and allow yourself that freedom!
- Yoga is another excellent way to promote self-healing.
Meditation! Meditation is often used in healing because it allows us to slow our brain and allow us to "drop into" our bodies. This way we can safely examine our emotions, innermost thoughts, and listen to our intuition. This is especially helpful when dealing with the Root Chakra because being in a meditative state can assist us in addressing some very old and painful wounds without harming ourselves further. (This is also why we must ensure we are in a time and place that feels safe for us when we do chakra work).
- I always highly recommend guided meditations because they can help us bring our awareness back into focus while working with the chakras when unexpected emotions or sensations arise.
- Visualizing yourself being rooted to the core of the earth and seeing the color red in your mind's eye while meditating is often very helpful in allowing us to heal this Chakra.
Seeking a Professional: I am a HUGE supporter of getting help when our mental or physical health is causing us to live a smaller or unsatisfying life. It is of the utmost importance that we take our bodies and minds by staying up to date with our trusted medical, dental, mental health care, etc. professionals before consulting with holistic healing methods or professionals. However, if you feel like you would also benefit from the care and support of a holistic healer, I suggest:
- Reiki Healing, Acupuncture, Homeopathy, Sound Therapy, Reflexology, Light Therapy, Art Therapy. There are many different types of healing modalities so I encourage you to try different forms until you find what is most comforting and effective for you!
The color RED: The color red is associated with the Root Chakra and incorporating this color into your environment or person can be helpful in healing the Root Chakra!
- Be as extra or minimalistic as you want! Maybe you have a favorite pair of red socks or you have colored LED lights set to red. The point of the red is to serve as a reminder or asset to your healing journey and your connection to the Earth.
If you enjoy general tarot readings, or pick a card content on YouTube, Check out my "Pick A Card Chakra Healing- ROOT" video here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2QGrXwFDZM&t=2s
**Maybe you do something completely different than these suggestions for becoming grounded and working with the Root Chakra. That is COMPLETELY okay. The goal for all healing is that it assists YOU in becoming the person you know yourself to be. That happens by listening to yourself and your body. **
Good luck in healing your Root Chakra, remember to be gentle with yourself always.
Sending love and light,