Updated: Apr 5, 2021
The Sacral Chakra is the second chakra in the energetic body. It is represented by the color orange, like citrus or pumpkin. This chakra is located below your belly button and above your groin.
As the main source of sexual energy in the body, the Sacral Chakra is connected to our desire to create and be inspired. When this chakra is strong and activated, we feel liberated by our desires and use these desires to create wondrous things. While children are one of these miraculous things we are able to create from desire, the Sacral Chakra also calls on us to be creative through music, dance, cooking, art, theatre, etc. When we feel comfortable within our Sacral Chakra, we no longer feel guilt or shame for what we truly want or need.
There are many reasons why our Sacral Chakra may be blocked but are not limited to:
- Traumatic Events (the Root and Sacral Chakras are where we often hold the most trauma as they are our most vulnerable chakras)
- Repression of sexuality
- Not feeling connected to emotions, feeling numb
- Lack of creative outlet
- Over or under "sharing" our sexuality (THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, it is not mine or anyone else's place to tell you how you share this sacred part of yourself, the main idea is respecting yourself)
- Feelings of guilt or shame about our desires
- A feeling of needing outside validation, especially concerning the people we are attracted to
- Not feeling safe within our bodies or feelings related to underactive Root Chakra
- Not feeling safe to express ourselves with our bodies ( through dance, clothing, hair color, body modifications, etc)
- Feelings of "writer's block" or not being able to "release" ourselves
Like the Root Chakra, this chakra is often impacted by things outside of our control. Working with this chakra is often a truly freeing and liberating process- however, it does ask that we examine and dismiss old patterns of guilt and shame. This process can bring up past hurt and trauma, and I always HIGHLY recommend we do our chakra work where somewhere we feel safe physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Mantra: My desires are Divinely gifted. I express my desires with respect and love for myself and others.